Foussais-Payré is a village of about 1,200 inhabitants, nestled in the south-east corner of the Vendée (departement 85). It is a lovely village, centred around the 11th-century Romanesque church and other 16th-century buildings in the village square.
The village has lots of facilities, including:
- An Auberge (bar/restaurant)
- A Tabac (newsagents/small shop)
- Credit Agricole bank, with cash machine
- Proxi mini-supermarket, which also acts as a post-office
- Antique shop
- Small garden centre
- Chocolate shop
- Sports hall with football pitch, tennis courts, skate-park and children’s play-area
- Two primary schools – one public and one private
There is a very active social life in the village, with many different societies and groups – you’ll always find something to do!
If you’d like to read a bit more about life in Foussais, you can check out our blog, La Vie En Foussais, where we have documented our lives here for the last few years.